Feb 17, 2011

Mental Musings


I've lived along the main channel of the Tennessee River for 20 years now and in all that time I've never had a fenced yard. I would prefer a fenced yard, but the layout of my house, driveway, front walk and that lake make it awful hard to figure out just 'where' to put a fence that will do its job but not impede with the regular comings and goings of the human inhabitants.

Studying energy medicine had given me some new insights and ignited some odd experiments. Have you ever heard the quote, "Change your mind - change your dog"? That's where I'm headed with this. Hang in there.

Okay, so let's go back a year or so. I was taking the three dogs for a walk down our quiet, wooded lane (where a fenced dog is an exception rather than the rule). We got to dead end of our lane where a lovely Australian Cattle Dog lives and who happened to be out in his yard when we arrived and he came running to check us out.

My body went into reaction/alarm mode. I stiffened up, my heart began racing, my body was preparing for battle. "Wait-a-minute!", I suddenly thought to myself. "I'M the human. I'm the animal with the larger brain here. I'm bigger than all these guys. I am in charge here and I'm going to handle this!"

Immediately my body relaxed. My dogs were looking at me in surprise. I stepped forward and placed myself in front of Elvis, turned to him and let him know, "I've got this". His body softened and he let me take the lead. I turned to face, "Cobber" and giggling with relaxed ease, I calmly told him to, "go home!". And.... to my amazement, he did. No altercation happened, no barking, no pulling on leads. All was calm and this was a deeply profound experience for my three dogs. A brief encounter that radically changed my life.

Fast forward to the present day and here I am becoming something of a "dog whisperer", as I have been dubbed on occasion, and that old saying rang in my head one day, "change your mind - change your dog". While learning energy medicine and other wonderful things that are all things "dog", I have experimented with mental intentions towards dogs...... in this case, I "think" a command and you know what? Each and every time, the dogs respond to the thought!

Now, I've been hesitant to share this, after all, it's a large chunk of reality that we humans find hard to digest, because "we" don't read minds or hear thoughts. Mostly. So, rather than hop on the believing band wagon, I've continued testing this theory and I'm getting to the point where believing is as basic as believing in water..... you'll still get wet when you jump in.

After a couple of weeks of carefully monitoring my thoughts when it came to my dogs, and receiving exceptional feedback, I decided to really put this theory to the test. What if I imagined my yard to be fenced? A sort of mental barrier between the house and our neighbors and especially the road.

Jazz accepted this mental barrier right away. Nestle would run up to the road on occasion, but I would immediately think thoughts of, "danger!" and "come back here where it's safe!".... and he would do so right away. It's been (at this writing) about 5 weeks since I put the mental fence in place and the two dogs still enjoy dashing out the front door, but they don't keep going. They stay in the yard and they stay with me.

Early in this "mental fence" stage, Nestle would leave the yard and stand in the road contemplating wild ramblings but would come running back the moment I mentally asked him to. After a few successful experiences like this one, I decided I'd test him to see if it was all just a fluke or if he really was hearing my thoughts. The next time Nestle left the yard and stood in the road I yelled the mental thought, "I'm going to KILL YOU! Get back here!!"..... and he ran off and was gone for well over an hour.... only when I sent Jazz to go find him did he come back. ..... Lesson learned. I have not used negative mental thoughts towards the dogs since and Nestle has not run off since.

Yesterday was the biggest test. I'd left the little doggie door open for the cat and Jazz & Nestle had a free pass to the outside world. A neighbor dog came into our yard and out they ran to meet him. Normally this would result in running amok through the neighborhood for a prolonged period which would include hunting feral cats, squirrels, etc. But, it didn't. In fact, Jazz & Nestle never left the yard and they came in when I asked!

I'm still taken aback by this. Try some mental intentions with your dogs and see what happens. Your thoughts should be as clear as verbal speech and without distractions to be most effective. I discovered when I began trying this that my dogs looked at me with a sort of astonishment....like speaking for the first time, or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment