Apr 1, 2012

Magic Moments & 5th Training Session

Last week was my 5th (and next to last) TTouch Training session in Chapel Hill, NC with one of my most adored instructors, Edie Jane Eaton.    What a wonderful week of learning and touching base with good friends and colleagues in the amazing world of TTouch!

My friend and wonderful teacher, Edie Jane Eaton

So, I have this issue with crate training.  It's always been an issue for me.  That whole, 'toss 'em in the crate' and then the dog cries, complains and basically becomes stressed out approach just leaves me raw and I won't do it.  It stresses me out.  I haven't successfully crate trained Nestle due to the anxiety associated with the whole process and it's bothered me a ton while at trainings as I can't leave my dogs for a moment without it being a major stress event for everyone.  Not fun.    Two little things changed this for me and we found success (at long last)!!

First, I had my well worn house slippers with me and they spent the week in the dogs crates ~ my aroma in their space (I also used them to 'hide' treats for the dogs to find).  Second, I had a huge bag of doggie treats and I was very patient.   The first day I would occasionally toss treats in each crate for the dogs to root around and retrieve.  In they went, got rewarded and out they came.  That was the first day.

The second day Nestle figured out that if he stayed in the crate he got more treats.  Jazz followed suit.   On the third day, I moved the dogs favorite blankets into their crates so if they wanted to be comfortable, inside the crate was the best choice.  Nestle caught on right away, and Jazz, though less enthusiastic about being in the crate would do so for treats.  Nestle was by this time settling down in his crate and I could gently close the door (without latching it) to get him used to the 'enclosed' sensation.  All was progressing well.

By the 4th day I was able to close both dogs in their crates and walk a short distance away with no reactivity from either one.  Yay!  And by the final day, both dogs were comfortable in their crates for short periods, whether I was in sight or not.  


Nestle napping in his crate on day 6
I'm elated that the side note to my 5th TTouch training is a huge milestone in crate training for Mr. Nestle!  All that was missing for me was the suggestion of tossing treats in the crate and from there the gradual progression to being in the crate was made much easier.

****

Part of the TTouch training is working with real clients for students doing sessions 3 and higher.  So, on Wednesday I met my client, Darwyn, a young Border Collie who experiences severe fear issues with strangers.  Darwyn has a wonderful and knowledgeable guardian who's done wonders with the handsome young fellow as far as bonding and training for athletic events.  A truly gifted dog and dedicated owner.

When Darwyn arrived for his session he was nearly catatonic with reactivity and fear.  He was crouched low, his tail tucked beneath him, his head low and whipping around wildly, frantic with fear and his respiration was quite high.  He could not be still.   Our hour began with establishing trust and working through some of the ground equipment to keep Darwyn moving.  After which I coached the owner in doing some specific TTouches to help Darwyn gain body awareness and begin to relax.  We worked on ear ttouches, belly and python lifts, tail ttouches, leg circles and the zig-zag ttouch.   Darwyn calmed considerably!  His respiration came down, he engaged more into his surroundings, his tail relaxed and he was able to stand still and in balance.  We put a half wrap on Darwyn and he visibly relaxed more as we again negotiated the ground equipment.  The owner was clearly delighted with Darwyn's progress!   By session's end, we had fitted a Thundershirt to Darwyn as they're so much easier to manipulate than wraps in some cases and more socially acceptable than an Ace wrap.  lol     We finished up with a recap on the TTouches taught.
Darwyn
This is a picture of Darwyn shortly after our client session.  Here we are in a large room full of TTouch students and their dogs as well as other clients and their dogs, assistants and the instructor.  With all the stimulus around Darwyn, he is relaxed, content and falling asleep!  Sure, sleepiness is a way of dealing with stress, but it's a good choice over being a crazy maniac.    When it was the owners turn to share her session experience she finished by saying, "I don't know who this dog is.  It's not Darwyn.  But I'll take this new dog home anyway!"   .... The next day an email was received by the owner who happily reported that Darwyn had allowed a stranger to approach and pet him.  A first!!

The power and effect of TTouch therapy continually amazes and delights me.  It is an honor and a privilege for me to be able to bring this work to dogs and their owners and witness such wonderful and dramatic change as Darwyn experienced.  It is joyful work.   I LOVE having a joyful job!

****

All things being well, my next and final TTouch training (and graduation!) will be the first week of June in DC under the wonderful teachings of the founder, Linda Tellington-Jones.   I will graduate on my husband's birthday!   ... Between now and then I still need a few more case studies to complete my training and actually graduate.    If you've been considering giving TTouch a try, I hope Darwyn's story helps open possibilities for you.  

****

The first Tuesday in August I will be giving a TTouch presentation at the Smoky Mountain Bulldog Club at their monthly meeting in West Knoxville.
.
If you'd like to be part of that, please contact the club.  It's sure to be a fun evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment