Oct 8, 2010

Elvis - session 3

The basics of the confidence course are coming together! Here is the labyrinth. I used PVC because it's light and portable in my little red car and stows easily in a carry bag.

Here's "most" of the ladder. I can flip it around for small dogs, partially prop it up, or prop it up completely once I have the other side of supports done (Home Depot, here I come!). I'm very pleased with the outcome, thus far.

I chose to guide Elvis through the confidence course using a super balance lead and scrunchies on his back legs (instead of a wrap, which I used last time). The scrunchies aid in bringing awareness to his back legs - he wasn't even sure he could raise one leg for the application of these little jewels.

Here we are going through the ladder. I have my unfinished sides offset to present a bit more challenge to him. Elvis really liked this. Towards the end of our session I switched to using a simple balance lead (instead of a "super balance" lead pictured above). He walked well with me and in much better control of his once ungainly body. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Since Elvis's first session a couple weeks ago, he has become much more comfortable in his rather large body and negotiates his way through life with much less clumsiness (much to our relief). His aggressive attitude towards being handled along his rear, legs and feet has gotten much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment