Oct 2, 2010

TTACT - Session 1

Once I got the Universal message that Ttouch is the path that I'm destined to follow, I waded in rather than diving head first. I took a one-day workshop by the founder, Linda, last June. She taught the sensory aspect of Ttouch and some basic Ttouches. Nestle was my companion and his transformation was nothing short of Biblical over the course of the day. I signed up for my first week long session immediately.

Mid September I took my first TTACT (Tellington Ttouch Animal Companion Training) training session. Six magical days in a room full of like-minded, spiritual humans learning this gentle work. Six days later it was like sisters parting...only better maybe. I never had a sister. I hear stories. Jazz & Nestle were my companions for the session.

What did I learn? I learned the Ttouches, of course. I think, more than anything though, I transformed. I see animals through different eyes now, softer, kinder more knowledgeable eyes. I see possibilities instead of problems. Nestle, being familiar with the Ttouch, calms down right away in frightening, unfamiliar situations. Jazz makes better choices when something triggers her (usually that would be her big brother Elvis wanting to share attention). I learned the basic philosophy of what type of Ttouch and pressure for influencing affect in the animal.

To put my training in a nutshell, it's a two-year journey during which I will attend 6 week-long trainings. After my 4th session I'll be "in business", so to speak. After my 6th session, I'll be all official. After that, I can move on to the horse & human trainings.

I learned mechanics, psychology, behavior assessment, client relations, body language, and I transformed. I "became". I don't just "do" Ttouch, I "am" Ttouch. I completely get this, how it works, where it comes from, what it can do, what I've seen done.

Case Studies are my best teachers. They are kind volunteers offering their companion animals for me to work on. I learn, the dog and owner experience positive change (hopefully!). We all have a wonderful time along the way!

This is Rufus, a mature Border Collie mix surrendered to the shelter for "herding sheep". He was the dog I worked with (with two other gals) during the TTACT session. Rufus was having issues with jumping (and yes he could!) and pulling. We worked with him about 30 minutes the first day where he calmed down a LOT. Prior to our second session, the next day, a volunteer dog walker noted how much better Rufus was behaving and walking for her. We had 3 30 minute sessions over three days with the fella, each time he showed marked improvement. He was much calmer, didn't pull on the lead and exhibited no jumping.

No comments:

Post a Comment