Jun 14, 2011

Adoptable Kitten

This is "Pika" which is Hawaiian for "rock" or "stone". HE wanted to be named, "Tika" which is Hawaiian for "bringer of death" or something morbid like that. Maybe he anticipates being a mighty hunter.

Pika has been with us since Monday. He very much needs a forever home, asap. He has been receiving daily TTouches and has really blossomed into an open and friendly cat. He shows no fear of the dogs and loves the kids. He is living on our back porch in an old dog crate... and he uses his litter box! .... This may be slightly better than a small cage at an adoption center...but at least his cuteness will help find a home more quickly than here on my back porch. I will most likely take him somewhere on Friday June 17th, or at the latest, Monday June 20th. If you would love to avoid the whole adoption fee song and dance .... contact me.

Here's his story:
There are things in this world that I'll never understand. I love animals, dearly. But to love animals to a level where letting them run amok and breed prolifically just makes no sense to me. I have a neighbor who professes deep love for their cats, yet the number of their feral population floors me. There is always a crop or two of feral babies running around through woods and yards along with feral toms making more babies and fighting with house cats ~ raising the family vet bill. ........ So, I quietly try to find good homes for the adoptable and catchable ones. Heaven knows we don't need these homeless creatures bating in foxes, coyotes and other "small critter" eaters.

Here is this years' cutie pie, whom I'm calling, "Pika":
This was taken quite a distance away, upon our first approach. Pika has been living in our neighbors basement (hole behind him). We approached slowly & with good energy. Although he considered bolting for cover, a glass of milk left by the neighbor helped him cope with and accept our approach.

A few minutes later. He's been thinking about disappearing into his safe hole, but his interest in the kind humans and that glass of milk are too much to resist.

Just a couple minutes later and he was digging TTouches. Here he's enjoying some ear work.

And shortly thereafter, he's in my arms purring up a storm with no signs of shyness. Amazingly enough, he has no fleas nor any infections that I can easily see (eyes, nose, ears).

Pika came over so quickly and was so affectionate that I had to assume that this little guy was not feral, but lost. I left a note for my neighbor. It seemed reasonable that he simply "escaped" and she couldn't catch him.

Nope. This kitten is indeed feral. He is so close to being fully integrated with humans that I foresee him being a wonderful family companion. He deserves a loving forever home. I will not take him to a regular shelter, but if no one takes him he will go to an adoption center by weeks' end.

He'll stay with us a few days while I work up a case study on him which in turn gives plenty of TTouch work that'll help this little guy. If someone adopts him from me, I'll teach TTouch work specific for Pika and help integrate him into his new home.


If you ~ or someone you know in the area (Friendsville, Maryville, Alcoa, Knoxville, Loudon, Lenoir City, etc.) would love this little jewel... send 'em my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment