Jun 28, 2011

Herbs - Chamomile

I have been patiently waiting for my chamomile plants to bloom so I can give it a try on the critters.... but those blooms are being evasive even though the plants are growing and spreading nicely. During my impatient wait, I gravitated towards commercial chamomile tea! Fresh is always best and more potent... but commercial tea is worth a try and quite effective.

Chamomile is very mild and gentle, even safe for use in puppies and yes, I've used it on the cat and kitten. It is served as a tincture... which basically means "tea". How do you get your pets to sit nicely and sip tea?... LOL (love that image!) .... we pour it on their food. No pinky finger extension necessary.

Chamomile has many wonderful uses in addition to its sedative qualities. It is helpful for expelling worms; antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, pain reliever and also helps relieve anxiety and insomnia. Useful for gas, indigestion and vomiting as well. I most appreciate the qualities of chamomile for its calming effects, tummy tamer and help in keeping those internal areas parasite and pain free.

To prepare I use a lidded glass jar that'll handle boiling water (one with a sealing lid is best that goes "pop!" as it cools). Depending on the size of the jar, add 1-3 bags of chamomile tea, pour boiling water over it, lid it and let steep till cool enough to refrigerate. I don't remove the tea bags. What I look for is a nice medium to dark amber color. If it's too light shake vigorously and see if that darkens the tea, otherwise reheat and add another tea bag. I like the sealing lids because I can let my jar sit on the counter a long time to cool and steep without any worries, but that's just me.

At meal times I pour the chamomile tea over their food enough to just wet it and mix in. Nestle's 14.5 pound self gets about 1/4 cup per day spit into two feedings. Jazz (24 pounds) gets about the same. Elvis the huge (130 pounds) gets about 1 cup per day, total. His tea is diluted with regular water for wetting his food (he likes it really wet!).

Why does Nestle get a larger portion relative to his size? Have you met this dog? ... LOL ... Nestle has more nervous issues than the other two by an order of magnitude. Anything that can assist this little guy in feeling more centered and calm in life is a gift. Elvis gets so much less because I'm aiming more at the healing, anti-microbial, pain relieving qualities for him with his diabetes. Same for Jazz.

Within days of adding chamomile tea to meals, my husband noted (more than once) how calm and content everyone seemed to be... most especially Nestle. His new calm makes receiving TTouches during stress much more effective as that impenetrable edge is not so impenetrable!

Chamomile can also be given topically to irritated skin by steeping flowers (or a tea bag), letting cool to a comfortable temperature then applying as a compress (soaked towel) to the affected area.

NOTE*
*
Some dogs may be allergic to the plant. Check for sensitivity first.
Do not give to pregnant or lactating bitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment